Thursday, April 29, 2010

More veggies than you can shake a stick at!

I'm finding that my cravings for greasy foods has been close to non-existent this week. Now, I'm not claiming that the cravings are gone for good, but it's nice to have had the urge.

Just to give you a quick idea of what I've been eating, I'll show you yesterday's food:
- Green monster (1.5 c spinach, 1/2 banana, berries, almond milk)
- some raisins and some almonds (less than a handful combined)
- peanut butter and banana sandwich on multi-grain bread
- a couple more almonds
- a small slice of cheese
- 2 turkey burgers (small. turkey mixed with mushrooms, so only about 5 oz of turkey)
- 1 bun
- olive/fetta topping
- parsnip fries

Not too bad. I guess the turkey burgers look bad, but I split the bun between the two and I mixed mushrooms with the burgers and made them a little smaller. This turned what would usually be four 1/4lb burgers into 8 who knows what size burgers.

A few months ago, I read something about stretching out meat in burgers and tacos. Since then, we have been adding beans to our turkey for the tacos. This was my first attempt at adding the shrooms to the burgers and I have to say, I love it! We couldn't taste a difference, and we both have left overs for today! I think we shall start making this the normal way we make burgers.

It's amazing the changes in food that start as experiments and end up as regular menu items. For example, tofu! J and I are not vegetarians, but we do like tofu and put it on the menu once or twice a week. Also, we don't each much in the way of red meat. When I was with my ex, we had steak and/or burgers twice a week! Even when I lost the 40 pounds with him, I wasn't eating HEALTHY.. just less.

To be honest, I've never really eaten healthfully. I've never liked vegetables. I always preferred my food salty, fried, and/or covered in cheese. Because of this, I thought the cleaner eating would be an uphill battle, but I guess the change is coming at a time where I'm really ready for it.. or at least willing to experiment.

I just ate my mid-morning snack.. almonds and raisins (a new favorite). I have left overs for lunch.. I'm stoked!

1 comment:

  1. almonds and raisins sounds delish! I am inspired to combine these today for an afternoon snack. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete