Friday, April 23, 2010

High-Fructose Corn Syrup

Since working on clean eating, I haven't had any HFCS. This is a wonderful side effect of clean eating. I never really cared too much about it, but J keeps an eye on his intake because he used to be allergic to it.. and my trusty side kick hates it so much because it's EVERYWHERE and he loves to be a rebel. I started hating it when I found out it was in my pickles. PICKLES!

Well, today, my stomach has been majorly bothering me. I wanted some seltzer to calm it down, but didn't want to wait until I got home, so I went to the vending machine and grabbed a can of Ginger Ale. Now, I love ginger ale.. so good! The front of the can says "Made with real ginger." SWEET! Now, I knew I was going to end up giving up some nutrition in drinking this, but my tummy is bothering me too much. Then, I read the ingredient list:

water, high-fructose corn syrup, citric acid, sodium benzoate, natural flavors, and caramel coloring.

*blink*

Seriously? "Made with real ginger" is exciting enough to put on the front of the can, but it's not prevalent enough to put on the ingredients list? Is it the CAN that's made out of ginger??? First two ingredients are water and HFCS? I'll be drinking sugar water. I know, but it's still gross to think about.

This frustrates me to no end. I have the key to the vending machine since it's broken. I'm putting that can of evil back.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Maybe the can *is* made of ginger. Taste it!!

    Do I love to be a rebel? :) I sure do hate the HFCS! If the gov't didn't give billions in subsidies to the corn industry, it wouldn't be dirt cheap and therefore in -everything-!

    That made me sound so militant lol But it shouldn't be in my 100% Natural products. It just shouldnt.

    ReplyDelete